The Canadian Dietetic Registration Examination (CDRE) is a national examination developed and administered by the Alliance of Canadian Dietetic Regulatory Bodies (Alliance). The CDRE is a requirement for registration in all provinces except Quebec.
The CDRE is not an exit exam from an internship or practical training program. It is designed to confirm competence to practice dietetics. This means that your practice-based knowledge and your ability to employ critical thinking by analyzing, interpreting and applying knowledge are at the level of minimal competence and that you are safe to practice.
Number of Attempts of CDRE
Please be advised that normally, a candidate must successfully complete the examination within four years or being eligible to write the examination. The candidate may attempt the exam no more than three times. Mandatory upgrading is required after the second failure.
Exam Dates and Testing Sites
- The exam is administered twice a year: November and May
- The next available sitting of the exam will be in November 23-24, 2020
- Due to the various provincial public health considerations associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, and the challenges associated with long-term planning for in-person gatherings, the next sitting of the exam will be an online, remote-proctored exam. Candidates will take this four-hour, computer-based exam on either November 23 or 24 from their personal computer. See communication from the Alliance of Canadian Dietetic Regulatory Bodies.
Registration Deadline and Fees
- Registration deadline for accommodation requests for the next available exam sitting: September 14, 2020
- Registration deadline for the next available exam sitting: September 28, 2020
- CDRE fees: $525.00
- The exam online registration starts September 14, 2020; therefore, as soon as your registration request and payment are sent in and processed, you will be able to reserve your seat at the exam.
- A candidate must be an NBAD Temporary Member in order to write the CDRE. For more information on registration, click here.
CDRE Application Form
- Please complete the CDRE Application Form if you are an eligible candidate.
Preparation Tools for the CDRE